BlankGraphite Blank w/Cane Feel
– Douglas has designed the blank of the Upstream to portray a classic cane style. Although the rod looks like cane rods of old, the graphite rod blank is high performing and incredibly efficient on the water. The blank features a medium-slow action to protect light tippets and maximize performance inside 30 feet. This is truly a small water rod made for the most delicate presentations.
Traditional Stripping Guides
– Smaller stripping guides fit the Upstream nicely and accommodate smaller fly lines without adding unneeded weight to the rod.
Traditional Snake Guides – The Upstream has simple, traditional snake guides that accommodate any fly line and add to the functionality of the rod.
All-Cork Handle w/Slide Rings
– The smaller rod models of the Upstream have a traditional full cork reel seat with slide rings to anchor small freshwater fly reels. The cork reel seat pays homage to cane rods of old and helps keep overall rod weight low. These reel seats aren’t corrosion-proof or as durable as anodized aluminum, however, they’re stylish and lightweight.
Aluminum Rod Tube
– The Upstream comes in a durable aluminum rod tube with a rod sock for increased protection. Aluminum keeps the Upstream safe during transportation, travel, and time off of the water.
The Douglas Original Owner Lifetime Warranty
– As of August 2019, Douglas has an original owner lifetime warranty on all of their fly rods. This warranty covers damage to the rod from any cause but excludes normal wear and tear or lost sections. Douglas will fix or replace your rod for a $35 handling fee.
Medium – Slow
Best for: Small Water, Dry Flies
Grip: Half Wells
Ability Level: Beginner- Expert (learn more)
We highly recommend using a freshwater specific line on the lighter rod models. Our favorite for small water applications is: