R. L. Winston Rod Company was founded by Robert Winther and Lew Stoner in 1929. The company’s name is a combination of the founder’s names: R from Robert, L from Lew, Win from Winther, and Ston from Stoner. The company started in San Francisco and was closely tied to the Golden Gate Angling Club in its infancy. Early Winston rods were made from Bamboo, a classic style at the time. Eventually, as was typical with many rod companies, Winston made the transition from bamboo to fiberglass to graphite. Today, Winston builds state-of-the-art boron graphite rods. “Winston Green” has become a company trademark rod blank color and stands for Winston’s superb craftsmanship and attention to detail. Winston’s rod factory is now in Twin Bridges, Montana.